Best time to travel to Central America
Best time to travel to Central America
BEST TIME TO TRAVEL TO CENTRAL AMERICA:
GUATEMALA, NICARAGUA & COSTA RICA
- Rainy season: From May to October there is a rainy season. June is the month with the higher average pluvial precipitation peaks. July and August typically offer a week of dry weather “Indian summer”, which are ideal moments for traveling because the rain stops but the bird biology and behavior remains in the winter moment.
- Dry-cold season: From November to February the weather is dry but can be cold, especially in the early morning and evening. These months have the lower peaks of temperature in January, and low average ranges in pluvial precipitation.
- Dry-warm season: From March to April the weather is hot and dry. The higher temperature peaks are in April and also the lower precipitation averages.
GUATEMALA RAINFOREST – PETEN REGION
- Dry Season: March / April / May
- Least Mosquitoes – The Colder / Fresher months are November to Feb when there are least mosquitoes
- Most Mosquitoes: August & Sept are the WORST months for humidity and mosquitoes
- Hottest Months: May & June are the hottest months
- Hazy Months: April / May can be the worst months for forest fires and create hazy days.
EL MIRADOR ARCHAEOLOGY SITE
Best time would be in June, July, and August because we can get into excavations and tunnels that might be closed otherwise with the archaeologists. Oct Nov Jan Feb are great for the weather and archaeologist’s availability. March and April are very hot and chiggers and ticks are bad during those months.
GUATEMALA COFFEE SEASON
Guatemalan coffee season – picking and processing – is from November to April
The best Birdwatching months are November and March for both indigenous and migratory Birds and also June / July which is mating season
- October to April – Neotropical migratory season: A Neotropical migratory bird breeds in Canada and the United States during the northern summer and spends the northern winter in Mexico, Central America, South America or the Caribbean islands. Basically the migratory season goes from October to April. The climate is dry, fresh, and ideal for traveling, the biodiversity of birds is at a peak and the activity of birds searching for food is an amazing spectacle. Possibly the best months for visiting the country are November (when all the migrant birds are already in the country) and March (when most of the migrant birds are moving from the neotropical region to the north). There are about 200 species of Neotropical migratory birds. The majority are songbirds (such as warblers, thrushes, tanagers, and vireos), but there are also many shorebirds (such as sandpipers, plovers, and terns), some raptors (such as hawks, kites and vultures), and a few types of waterfowl (such as teal).
- June & July – Local breeding season: During the months of June and July the climate is wet and cold in most of the highlands. The migrant birds are gone, but the local resident birds are starting to breed so most of the birds can be seen in couples. Their nest, eggs and reproductive behavior are accessible and it is the best moment for emotive pictures.
- Tropical Storm Season: From July to Nov there is the possibility of tropical storms and Hurricanoes. The worst month at the coast is Oct which is why some hotels shut down for maintenance.
- Dry season: March to May
- Best time to visit: Dec to April are considered the best times to visit.
- Sand Flies – hard to say but it seems that the worst months can be July & Aug but it does depend a lot on how much breeze there is.
- Hottest months: Can be June to Oct but again this does vary
- Dry season: December through May
- Wet season: June through November.
- These are very rough dates. In this area during the rainy season it does not rain all day. Typically it will rain for a few hours in the afternoons and freshen things up.
- Rainy Season: Approx Oct to Jan
- Typically, the “rainy season” starts around October, maybe sooner, maybe later. And it ends sometime in January, sometimes earlier, sometimes later.
- Driest Months: The summer months June-Aug are the driest. More hunmid on the North Shore than the South Shore.
- NB: Even in the “rainy season” the weather in any given week can range from beautiful, clear and sunny (yesterday) to intermittent rain showers and clouds mixed with sun and blue skies.
- Sand Flies: the sand flies come and go at their own pace. We’ve tried to figure out their schedule but have never been able to.
- They are worse at the end of the day, but they seem to disappear after dark.
- They don’t seem to go indoors and they don’t bite through clothing.
- Cactus Juice (available all over Roatan) is a natural product that works really well.
N.B: It is important for visitors to know that it can rain on Roatan but that the weather patterns change quickly in the tropics. There have not been many weeks that there wasn’t some sunshine, even in the rainiest of seasons!
The main whale-watching season in Baja California is from early February to the end of April.
Tim Travel Tours
Lugano - Switzerland
Tel: 0041(0)76 580 48 50